What type of work requires a permit?

North Bend Municipal Code Title 15, Buildings and Construction, Chapter 15.02 Construction Administrative Code (CAC), requires that any owner or authorized agent who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by the CAC, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make application to the Building Official and obtain the required permit.

What type of work is exempt from a permit?

According to North Bend Municipal Code 15.02.500 exemptions from permit requirements shall not be deemed to grant authorization for any work to be done in any manner in violation of the provisions of the CAC or any other laws or ordinances of this jurisdiction. Note: Although a building permit may not be required, work is still subject to municipal code and zoning requirements, including but not limited to property setback requirements. Please contact the Building Dept. for more information.

Building Permits are not required for the following:

  1. One-story detached residential accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, tree-supported play structures, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200 square feet (11.15m²).  
    1. Accessory structures (such as sheds) within the flood plain may require a Flood Plain Permit. 
    2. Accessory structures (such as sheds) shall comply with zoning requirements, including but not limited to side and rear yard setbacks.
  2. Fences less than six (6) feet high.
  3. Oil Derricks.
  4. Retaining walls, which are not over four (4) feet in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge of impounding Class I, II, or III-A liquids.
  5. Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,9225 liters) and the ratio of height to diameter or width does not exceed two to one.
  6. Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30 inches (762 millimeters) above grade, and not over any basement or story below, and decks that are not attached to a dwelling and do not serve the required exit door.
  7. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, counter tops and similar finish work.
  8. Replacement of siding for accessory structures, not intended for human occupancy, that are associated with a single-family residence structures.
  9. Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
  10. Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 occupancy, as applicable in Section 101.2, which are less than 24 inches (610 millimeters) deep, do not exceed 5,000 gallons (18,925 liters) and are installed entirely above ground.
  11. Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes and not including service systems.
  12. Swings, slides and other similar playground equipment.
  13. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall which do not project more than 54 inches (1,372 millimeters) from the exterior wall and do not require additional support.
  14. Movable cases, counters and partitions less than five feet nine inches (1,753 millimeters) in height.
  15. Satellite earth station antennas six and one-half feet (two meters) or less in diameter or diagonal in zones other than residential zones.
  16. Satellite earth station antennas three and one-quarter feet (one meter) or less in diameter in residential zones.
  17. Video programming service antennas three and one-quarter feet (one meter) or less in diameter or diagonal dimension, regardless of zone.
  18. Window replacement in single-family residences as long as the replacement does not reduce the egress, safety glazing, or energy requirements and the structural opening for said window replacement remains the same.

It is important to note that these building permit exemptions do not relieve an applicant of other requirements from the Planning Department and Public Works Department related to setbacks, floodplain regulations, critical areas, wetlands, native growth protection areas, etc.

Do I need to hire a licensed contractor?

State law requires that all building construction contractors be registered with the State of Washington. The exceptions to this requirement are stated on page two of the Affidavit in Lieu of Contractor Registration form (PDF).

If you would like to check if a contractor's license is active please visit the Washington State Department of Labor and Industries website.

Do I need a Business License to work in the City of North Bend?

Yes, a Business license is required in most cases. For more information please visit the Business License and Tax Department.